Saturday 13 July 2013

Which computer and platform are best for a translator?


I decided to write about this topic after having a raving conversation with one of my colleagues. He tried to convince me that I live in the past century, still using a PC for my translation work. So these notes IMHO are merely based on my own experience as the translator. 

If you are shopping around for a best computer and platform, and you are a translator, you hopefully will find my review useful, but please don’t read this as the ultimate truth, because it is just an opinion.

MAC vs PC

I have been using PCs for my entire professional life and it is what all my clients use; however, some of my colleagues feel very strongly about their Macs. At some point I was considering Mac as an option, but the price tag made me to change my mind. 

Firstly, I treat my machine/computer as my workhorse. I don’t use it for games - I own an Xbox for that, and I don’t watch movies – for that I have a 42” LED TVset. It is only for my professional activities and social/professional networking. If you plan to use your computer for entertainment I would suggest reading another review.

If you want a powerful Mac, look at the cost and believe me or not, it is too high for what you get. Unfortunately Mac has a limited selection of hardware, so if you buy a cheapest Mac you're stuck with a computer that cannot be upgraded. You can in theory, but you need to take into consideration that any hardware upgrades that are not sanctioned under official Apple warranty will be at your own expense for repairs and a compatibility could fail at any time. Considering that Macs are expensive machines, even at the cheapest price, any substantial upgrade will only increase a price for your Mac. Current market has a great choice of PCs with RAM from 2 to 8 GB, both for laptops and desktops, and Macs normally have 1-4 GB for standard models. If you want more powerful RAM it has to be custom made. 

Many people love Macs because they are great for graphics, photography, etc., but I don’t see them offering advantages for a translator. Yet Macs have fewer viruses and require less maintenance, but if you would compare the price, a PC will definitely win. Another important thing - Windows offer more software and my main CAT Trados that I use for technical and engineering translations won’t work with Mac. Trados works only on a PC. If you are a technical translator and you use or plan to use Trados software you need a PC. 

My first experience with Macs was when I worked as a translation manager in a small linguistics agency. The owner of the agency was madly in love with Macs, so I had no choice but to work on them. First thing I noticed after years working on a PC was that my brain started to re-arrange its functional abilities and I found that experience interesting and good. It is very difficult to put in words and explain, but after using a PC for such a long time, you need to get used to Mac logic, or develop another one. It is not difficult, it’s just a matter of time. 

Another thing about using Macs is Boot Camp software, that allowed Macs to run Windows via virtual environment for MS Office applications. Well, that the idea of the software was great, but in reality it was unhelpful. I noticed how slow my office Mac went running on virtual environment. After hours of proofreading on such a slow machine the expression on my face said everything without a word. 

Laptops vs Desktop 

Some of my colleagues prefer to use desktops because they struggle with using the small keyboard of a laptop. I don’t have this problem as I don’t look at my keyboard when I work on it. So if you are one of my colleagues who struggle with the keyboard my suggestion is to buy an ergonomic keyboard. This will solve the problem. 

Personally, I couldn’t make a choice between laptop and desktop, so I own both. 

My choice between two machines is easy. When it comes to the translation of P&IDs, Process Flow Diagrams and other type of drawings, I need a big screen. With AutoCAD or MicroStation I need to work on a big screen and my laptop in this case will not be as suitable for the job (this is a better sort of phrasing). 

For me my the laptop is a compromise between weight, size, performance and cost, but only justified if I need mobility. Normally I take my laptop to offices if I am required to work on site. If most of your freelance works associated with go out you would probably choose a laptop. 

Another thing, which makes me happy about having two machines, is having two monitors for proofreading and translation work. It is so good and convenient that I don’t see myself working without two monitors. But the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment